Best socks…when they are necessary
Spoons and socks = soul food
My Comfort spoon by MilkandHoneyLuxuries.com was a gift from Sheila. Just seeing the spoon felt like a hug. In my book, Your 6-Week Guide to LiveBest, I write about how we feed our soul. I had 3 doses of soul food today. Woohoo!!
- APPRECIATE…what you have, what you can give back and what you have received from others. Like a spoon.
- CONNECT…with others. Good people give you energy. Invite friends to do something or call a friend to catch up. Eating together is even better. I checked in with Sheila, the spoon giver, when I was writing this post to show her how I used her spoon.
- ENJOY…what makes you feel light and open. Don’t miss the moment—be it a sunset, a great bite of food, a compliment or a smile. Like a bowl of soup.
Why I Like Kale Turkey Bean Soup
The dietitian in me likes:
- the health benefits of kale. Kale is high in cancer-fighting compounds and vitamin A. It can be a tough green to like because the older the green, the tougher and the stronger flavor it has. Cooking mellows that so it’s great in a soup.
- the health benefits of beans. Beans are budget friendly and a top fiber source.
- It goes well with cornbread 😉
The home cook in me likes that:
- All ingredients can be stored in freezer or pantry, so this is a go-to dinner solution.
- It’s ready in about 30 minutes.
- My husband is happy he’s eating some version of sausage.
Kale Turkey Bean Soup
Kale Turkey Bean Soup is a hearty soup that is easy to make and quick to fix comfort food. Full of fiber and flavor, it’s ready in 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16-ounces turkey sausage
- 12-ounces chopped kale, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- dash dried red chile flakes
- 32-ounces broth, chicken or vegetable
- 3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red or apple cider vinegar
- Soup: In a large pan over medium heat, heat oil and onion. Cook onion until softened, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, cook one minute, stirring regularly. Add turkey and cook, stirring occasionally to break it up into large crumbles, until the sausage begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add kale, thyme, chile flakes, broth, and water, bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to simmer the soup until kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans and vinegar, stir, heat through.
Collard greens, Swiss Chard or spinach may be substituted for the kale. If the stems seem tough, trim them before cooking.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 255
Keywords: hearty soup, easy soup
My website contains some affiliate links. That means if you click through on a link I may earn income from the seller, not the buyer, you. My intent is to be a resource for you. I only refer to products that I support and use. All of the food photos are my own, unless otherwise stated. If you’d like to use one, please seek my permission first. The content of the website and blog are copyrighted.