Create a bestover with stale bread. A delicious way to reduce food waste! Spinach, artichokes, mushrooms and cheese = Spinach Artichoke Mushroom Strata! A make-ahead breakfast casserole.
Have some dried out bread? A strata is a great way to repurpose it.
Strata means layers. This is layers of bread cubes, vegetables, cheese all mixed up with an egg mixture. It’s like a savory bread pudding. Similar to a frittata.
Spinach Artichoke Mushroom Strata, a bestovers make-ahead breakfast casserole.
The best things is that you can use about any cooked vegetable you have on hand – broccoli, spinach, onion, kale, or peppers. Artichokes and mushrooms were the cupboard castaways I had on hand. Together with leftover sourdough bread, this hearty strata made dinner easy and inexpensive.
I had garlic dill cheddar on hand, which was a good fit for the other ingredients and boosted the flavor. Go ahead and shop your fridge for cheese that’s waiting to be used. A blend of cheeses would be great.
A hearty bread works best in this baked dish. Think of sour dough, Italian bread, ciabatta, or a heavier grain-based bread that will hold up with the egg mixture. A soft white bread will turn mushy. If the bread’s a little dry or stale, even better!
This recipe is flexible. If you have chives, use those instead of dried onion. Other fresh herbs would be a great addition such as basil, thyme, or parsley.
Why I like this Spinach Artichoke Mushroom Strata recipe
As you can see, this is a forgiving recipe. For breakfast, brunch or dinner, it is an ideal way to make something out of nothing into bestovers. I love repurposing food. Here are more recipes and ideas. And that’s why I like it. Hope you do too!
P.S. Want more healthy living tips and recipes? Sign up for my newsletter here.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay but helps fund the website.
Pin it for later!
Spinach Artichoke Mushroom Strata
Create a bestover with stale bread. Spinach, artichokes, mushrooms and cheese bake into some kind of delicious Spinach Artichoke Mushroom Strata!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 10-16 ounce package frozen chopped spinach
- 13.7 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, halved
- 6 ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 4 cups cubed bread, sourdough or other hearty bread
- 1 cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar, Monterey Jack (I used Garlic Dill Cheddar)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a 9 x 11-inch pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Allow it to cool so you can handle it. Squeeze moisture out by wrapping in a cloth towel and squeezing or by squeezing small handfuls.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, bread cubes, dried onion and shredded cheese. Scoop into prepared baking dish. Place tomato slices over mixture then sprinkle Parmesan over top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, cayenne, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Bake in oven 45-50 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 285