Repurpose leftover pasta with eggs and cheese to make an easy pasta recipe and reduce food waste. A LiveBest take on carbonara
Egg and cheese pasta may sound simple and boring. Simple? Yes! Boring? Not a chance.
Repurpose pasta to reduce food waste
I love bestovers. Making something out of what’s on hand. (Check out more recipes and tips to use what you have on hand and reduce food waste.) This dish is quick to make and costs just pennies. I love that! Needless to say, this is a favorite at my house. I’ve used linguini, but don’t let the shape stop you. Spaghetti, penne, even macaroni works.
It’s a takeoff on a classic Carbonara – the Italian dish of spaghetti with a cream-egg-Parmesan cheese-bacon sauce. You can make that too, if that’s what your leftovers look like.
Egg and Cheese Pasta
Protein-packed eggs and cheese give this dish staying power. The pasta carbs give you a shot of energy. All together you have a dish that will keep you fueled for a few hours.
Bump up this easy pasta recipe with:
- flavorful cheese. I use Parmesan, but Romano or goat cheese are possibilities.
- vegetables. Sautéed asparagus, mushrooms or cherry tomatoes… Yum!
- anchovies. Add 2-3 anchovies to the butter and oil for a favor boost. Honestly, my mouth is watering as I wrote this 😉
P.S. Want more healthy eating tips and recipes? Sign up for my newsletter here.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay but helps fund the website.
Pin it for later!
Eggs, Cheese and Pasta
Repurpose leftover pasta with eggs and cheese. Delish, nutrish and economical. You may start making extra pasta just so you can enjoy egg and cheese pasta.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 6 eggs, beaten until uniform
- 1 teaspoon water
- dash crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a separate bowl, stir the eggs, water, and red pepper flakes together.
- Add butter and olive oil to a non-stick pan. Heat over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Swirl the oil and butter together.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic cloves. Pour in the eggs. Gently stir them as they cook. As the eggs start to firm up, add the pasta. Stir to coat the pasta. Sprinkle in cheese and black pepper. Continue to cook until pasta is heated and eggs are cooked to your preferred doneness.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 325
Keywords: leftover pasta