Coconut Fruit Tart
Coconut Fruit Tart is a nice slice to wake up my taste buds and change up my breakfast groove. Less sugar and more protein and fiber is just dessert!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups bran flakes, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- ½ cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened, but sweetened works)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, plums, mango)
- ¼ cup coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- While the oven is heating, toast ¼ cup coconut for topping. Spread coconut in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Coconut is high in fat, so it can easily burn.
- In a large bowl, combine bran flakes, butter or coconut oil, walnuts and ginger. Press firmly into a 9-inch tart or pie pan. Bake 12- 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, stir eggs to mix well, add yogurt, coconut, honey and vanilla extract. Stir to combine all ingredients. Pour into cooled crust. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, until filling is set. The center of the tart should be firm and not jiggle if you shake the pan. Remove from oven to cool. Tart may be refrigerated overnight.
- Before serving, top with chopped fruit and sprinkle toasted coconut and lime zest over.
Use your favorite fruit. Frozen works too! To 2 cups frozen mixed berries, add 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate. Let thaw, stirring occasionally.
Keywords: breakfast pie, yogurt pie